Monday 6 December 2010

Vintage Wise Old Men

It's surprising what can be found in a sleepy village in Devon.
Well actually, not that sleepy, it would be better described as positively thronging! Which is a great sight to see and one that I feel I miss out on, as I normally work on a Saturday. So with day off work booked we decided last minute to cancel our family shopping trip to Exeter, I'm so glad we did. We haven't been to Exeter for well over a year and I have very fond memories of sitting outside a cafe by the Cathedral but whatever were we thinking, Christmas shopping with three young kids?? Thankfully we came to our senses before it was too late and headed instead to Ashburton. 


Ashburton is filled with independent shops, antiques and collectables sit amongst quirky giftware shops, and a lovely vintage emporium that was so wonderfully set up that the boys collapsed onto the sofas and asked where the TV was! Which was great as it gave me chance to mooch and stumble across these two vintage hanging ornaments and this lovely teal vintage fabric.


We found an amazing fish deli, that not only provided us with red mullet for our evenings dinner but also a great selection of olives where we found the brightest green olives I've ever seen. They even had a sign up saying "these have not been dyed" as they were so vivid. The boys came to the conclusion that they must be alien olives!


I couldn't resist this card by Rob Ryan which I hope to frame as part of our decorations. 
But it really was these two wise men that were the star find of the day, with their crowns and their jewels, and who are now going to take pride of place in our festive decorations.



4 comments:

  1. They are beautiful - the wise men that is and I so know what you mean about shopping with little ones - I've totally hit the internet this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashburton sounds like a fabby place. we have nowhere like that near here - probably safer actually! The two wise-men are lovely. Juliex

    ReplyDelete